"Working hard for something we don't care about is called stress;
working hard for something we love is called passion."
- Simon Sinek
How do you avoid stress and tap into passion?
Passion and engagement does not need to be wound up every day!!
People Profits Principle #99
Structural motivation works
every minute of every day
Traditional motivation: Supervisor must take action to drive employee action.
Structural motivation: A system/process drives employee action.
"Traditional" motivation does not work:
- Employees SEE IT FOR WHAT IT IS
- It is ONE SIZE FITS ALL
- By definition it is SHORT TERM
- It can be DELIVERED BADLY and have UNINTENDED consequences
- SELDOM do employees have a truly positive reaction to it
A well thought out system can resolve all of these issues
"Structural" motivation has the advantages of:
- Being well THOUGHT OUT in advance
- Being designed for a CERTAIN GROUP of employees
- Crafted for ANY TIME PERIOD
- A WELL CRAFTED MESSAGE is part of the system and process
- Employee RESPONSE AND INPUT will increase the chance of success
What does Structural Motivation look like?
It can take many forms, however certain issues are critical:
- CULTURE, VALUES and DEMOGRAPHICS of the GROUP
- ALIGNMENT of GOALS with the ORGANIZATION
- The MESSAGE within the system and the DELIVERER
- The RELEVANCE of the REWARD not its' form
- FUTURE OPPORTUNITIES
Ready to eliminate the frustration and build a motivational system?
People Profits case study: Over 28 years every time a supervisor, manager, director or VP complained that they could not get their employees to do what needed to be done - we turned to Structural Motivation. It took some time and effort to build the right system and process and even more to receive input from the employees. But every time the system and process worked and the employees were motivated by the system. The results were always within the goals that were originally identified.
Copyright © 2016 People Profits, LLC, All rights reserved.