"We looked at tens of thousands of interviews, and everyone who had done the interviews and what they scored the candidate, and how that person ultimately performed in their job. We found zero relationship. It's a complete random mess."
- Laszlo Bock
Google's SVP for People Operations
How do you avoid "a complete random mess"?
First, understand the ROI of making it as good as you can!!
People Profits Principle #81
Hiring is easy, retaining and engaging is hard
What are 5 common hiring mistakes?
- The FOCUS is on SKILLS not culture and values
- Candidates SUCCESSFULLY HIDE their greatest WEAKNESSES
- Your gut is saying "no" - but you NEED SOMEONE REALLY BADLY
- Taking "chances" for the WRONG REASONS
- Not taking into account the "FIT" within the DEPARTMENT
How do you avoid these pitfalls?
"Hiring Managers" have a hard time hiring the right people because:
- They make the ABOVE MISTAKES
- They have had little to NO TRAINING ON HOW TO HIRE
- They have FEW CHANCES TO IMPROVE their interviewing skills
- Job descriptions do little to help identify the BEST CANDIDATE
What can be done to upgrade the hiring process?
A Recruiting Strategy, Plan and Process should include:
- Who are your TARGET CANDIDATES - how to IDENTIFY THEM?
- How are you going to ATTRACT THEIR ATTENTION?
- What is your EMPLOYER BRAND - WHY WORK FOR YOU?
- What is going to RETAIN AND ENGAGE them?
- What is THE PATH THEY WILL FOLLOW once they are here?
The plan provides the questions and answers you need while interviewing.
People Profits case study: A manufacturing/service company had numerous offices all over the United States. Hiring and firing was done by the local offices. There was no comprehensive Recruiting Strategy or Plan and the lack results demonstrated that fact. Once a Strategy and Plan was developed and implemented we had little problem attracting the type of workers that fit best. Turnover plummeted and engagement rose dramatically.
Copyright © 2016 People Profits, LLC, All rights reserved.