"I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me."
- Ralph Ellison, Author
Mindy Kaling as the "Invisible Lady" for Nationwide Insurance.
She learns at the end of the commercial she is not invisible after all.
People Profits Principle #90
Your employer brand is as important as your marketing brand
Why do so many employers see themselves as invisible?
- They get FEWER APPLICATIONS then they should
- Many are NOT RELEVANT to their job openings
- FEW OUTSTANDING applications are received
- They can not KEEP UP with the workforce needed
What is the cost?
How are the costs incurred?
- They SPEND TOO MUCH on Recruiting and Staffing firms
- They spend too much on ADVERTISING and JOB POSTINGS
- They LOSE SENIOR PEOPLE to more VISIBLE FIRMS
- They are BEHIND THE CURVE, falling FURTHER BEHIND
So how can you become visible?
It is less about coverage and more about connection:
- Adopt a MARKETING APPROACH to recruiting
- Identify your TARGET CANDIDATES and how TO BEST CONNECT
- What EMPLOYER BRAND would be most RELEVANT to your targets
- Market your EMPLOYER STRENGTHS SUPPORTED BY your employees
Identify what works for your company and work it
People Profits case study: A manufacturing company was hiring anyone who would show up to apply. We redefined their recruiting efforts and soon everyone in that area knew what we were looking for, who we would and would not hire and who did well at the company. Turnover dropped dramatically and recruiting became easier as we were looking for less people and more of our candidates fit our target group.