People Profits Principle #24
People want to fit in – we can make it easier or more difficult
Does the following sound familiar?
- Some of your new hires never even SHOW UP
- During the FIRST WEEK of orientation/training - you lose more
- Training makes it clear, some more will NOT MAKE IT long
- 3 to 6 months later you have lost others for a HOST OF REASONS
- You return to hiring more WITH THE SAME RESULTS
How can you get off this treadmill?
Just for fun, click the pic
Onboarding has six steps and they begin LONG BEFORE the first day:
- Recruitment - do they fit your VALUES?
- Do they know WHO YOU ARE as an employer?
- Selection - a documented SELECTION TEMPLATE by position?
- Socialization - will they FIT IN with your people? How do you know?
- Professional/personal development - a documented PLAN?
- Supervision - will they FIT the supervisor?
- Engagement - should BEGIN at the recruitment step.
All six of these issues are complex and must fit YOUR organization.
What are the results we are looking for?
- 100% of new hires should SHOW UP.
- Retain 95% during training with terminations being OUR DECISION.
- In these cases we need to LEARN from them and ADJUST
- Know EXACTLY why you lost anyone after training.
- REDUCE RECRUITING because you are retaining.
Click the video below to see how most organizations onboarding