A "blue sky of opportunities" are Revenues and Profits not being realized:
- Due to not thinking outside the box.
- Lack of business and financial acumen.
- Focus on activity - not results.
- Focusing on the relational at the expense of value.
- HR expertise limited to one or two areas of HR.
Case study: A CEO of a manufacturing company had an idea to make a certain change. When we spoke about it, it became clear we could not make the change for 100% of the employees. A law prevented us from implementing it for 20% of our people. When I told him that we could not do it for 20% but we could for the other 80% - his reponse was classic CEO. "80% is better then 0%". I then suggested some modifications to his idea. His next response was again classic CEO: "That makes up for the 20%!"
So if HR looks like this: