How can my skills gap and training period be reduced?
"39% of employers have difficulty finding employees with the right skills."
- Harvard Business Review 8/2014
Every organization I have encountered has had a profound skills gap
Part of the problem is the time necessary to develop the skill level needed
People Profits Principle #27
Value Pathing will increase employee value, engagement
and retention while reducing cost and time
People Profits has been working on skills gaps for 28 years and it does not matter:
- The INDUSTRY
- SIZE OF COMPANY
- GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION
- Organizational CULTURE or VALUES
- Organizational FINANCIAL SUCCESS or FAILURE
We have a shortage of high skill workers in numerous disciplines
So how do you get your fair share? You have to do the basics first:
- A compelling EMPLOYER BRAND
- Values aligned with REALITY and your TARGET CANDIDATES
- RECRUITING STRATEGY as ROBUST as your MARKETING STRATEGY
- Ability to IMPLEMENT your recruiting strategy and ACHIEVE RESULTS
Most companies do not succeed at the basics
You need someone with the skills NOW! How can you shorten this time?:
- Develop a "VALUE PATH" which defines what they need to do
- Use it to RECRUIT, DEVELOP, ENGAGE and RETAIN
- EMPOWER them to RUN down the path
- This is a SYSTEM and a PROCESS
- Their VALUE and COMPENSATION must be kept aligned
- COMMUNICATE throughout your organization EMPLOYEE SUCCESSES
- Find SOURCES of candidates ALREADY PARTLY DOWN THE PATH
Your skills gap can be filled and the time needed to develop can be shortened
People Profits case study: An international manufacturing and service company had a significant skills gap in several positions. A VALUE PATH was developed and the employees saw the benefits and the ability to take control of their own development. We no longer had to push them down the path but they ran down the path. We then instituted cross training and had more skills covered. The employees were worth more to us so we could pay more which led to high engagement and low turnover. Other competitors' employees heard about it and pursued us as an employer. Recruiting became fun and easy.
Copyright © 2016 People Profits, LLC, All rights reserved.