People Profits Principle #87
Exit interviews do not get to the truth 90% of the time
Why would an employee who is leaving not tell us the real reason?
- Nothing IN IT FOR THEM - why make it harder on myself?
- Managers might RETALIATE
- It might MAKE LIFE DIFFICULT for the ones not leaving
- NO confidentiality or security
- Impression management by HR to "STEER" the answers
Your exit interviews maybe sending you in the wrong direction.
Click the pic for a classic clip from "Planes, Trains and Automobiles"
Retention + Engagement strategies can spend
a ton of money "fixing" the wrong problems.
The results can be very costly:
- The turnover CONTINUES
- Time and costs of the WRONG RETENTION POLICY are wasted
- Your REPUTATION for high turnover will continue
- You will gain a reputation of NOT KNOWING what is REALLY GOING ON
What can you do? Here are five strategies to learn the truth:
- Confirm the exit interview procedure is not "STEERING" the employee
- Review each exit interview for PLAUSIBILITY
- Determine high turnover departments for EXTRA SCRUTINY
- Develop CONFIDENTIAL communication channels to the EX-EMPLOYEE
- Develop similar channels from SOURCES CLOSE to ex-employees
Each organization will have individual problems.